Economy

University Lecturers Defy Return-to-Work Orders, Insist on Settlement of CBA Arrears

By Business Day AfricaSeptember 25th, 2025
University Lecturers Defy Return-to-Work Orders, Insist on Settlement of CBA Arrears

University lecturers have dismissed government orders to resume duty or face interdiction, saying they will await the court’s decision on the legality of the directive.

The striking dons maintained they will only return to work after the settlement of Sh7.9 billion arrears from the 2017–2021 collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and the commencement of negotiations for the 2025–2029 CBA.

On Wednesday, lecturers and staff from 42 public universities staged a protest in Nairobi, presenting petitions to Parliament, the National Treasury, and the Ministry of Education.

Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba had on Tuesday ordered the dons back to work, citing an existing court order declaring the strike illegal, warning that defiance would attract disciplinary action.

Uasu officials present their petition on salary arrears to National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetangula at Parliament Buildings on Wednesday. PHOTO/Courtesy

“As you are aware, we are back in court, and the court will give us direction on October 6 on whether that order was lawfully obtained or through concealment of material facts,” said UASU Secretary General Dr. Constantine Wasonga.

The union is challenging a ruling by Employment and Labour Relations Court (ELRC) Judge Stephen Radido, who declared the strike unlawful after CS Ogamba announced the release of Sh2.73 billion in pending salary arrears. UASU argues the announcement wrongly created the impression that the dispute had been resolved.

Armed with placards and vuvuzelas, and escorted by police, the lecturers and staff under the Kenya University Staff Union (KUSU) sang, danced, and vowed not to resume duty until their grievances are addressed.

The strike, now in its seventh day, centres on two demands: payment of the Sh7.9 billion arrears from the 2017–2021 CBA and fresh talks on the 2025–2029 CBA. Last week, the government released Sh2.73 billion for Phase Two of the 2021–2025 CBA, reducing the dons’ list of demands from three to two.

National Assembly Committee on Education chairman Julius Melly addressing the striking university lecturers at Parliament Buildings on Wednesday. PHOTO/Tenil Okisa

“If you want to shorten this strike, pay us the way you paid the Sh2.7 billion last week. Until we get a bank alert confirming the money is in our accounts, prepare for a long strike,” Dr. Wasonga warned.

The procession began at the University of Nairobi graduation square and wound its way through the city before petitions were handed over at Parliament Buildings, the National Treasury, and Jogoo House which houses the Ministry of Education.

“If we have waited for eight years without answers, this strike will not stop now. We will escalate and intensify it,” declared KUSU Secretary General Charles Mukhwaya.

Dr. Wasonga further accused CS Ogamba of contempt of court, saying he should comply with an ELRC judgment directing additional budgetary allocations for the full implementation of the 2017–2021 CBA.

“You must pay us Sh7.9 billion. You have the judgment with you, and you have the Attorney General’s advisory opinion dated April 10, 2025. Kindly honour that first,” he said.

While receiving the petition, National Assembly Education Committee chair Julius Melly assured the dons that their grievances would be pursued to the letter, stressing that lecturers’ welfare is central to the success of higher education.

In the 2025–2029 CBA, the union is pushing for higher salaries, improved allowances, and expanded retirement and death benefits. If granted, graduate assistants would see their basic pay rise from Sh63,647 to Sh86,594, while professors could earn up to Sh305,610 before allowances, with top earners projected to take home nearly Sh1 million by 2029.

news@businessdayafrica.org