Ruto’s Warning Echoes as Guinea-Bissau Soldiers Oust President

Kenya’s President William Ruto warned African leaders on Tuesday that the continent risked sliding backwards if armies continued to unseat elected governments.
Less than a day later, soldiers in Guinea-Bissau toppled President Umaro Sissoco Embaló in a swift takeover that underlined the urgency of his remarks.
Speaking at an African Union (AU) meeting in Luanda, Angola, Ruto had urged the bloc to adopt tougher penalties against coup plotters and strengthen early-warning mechanisms, saying Africa “cannot afford to normalise the overthrow of duly elected leaders.”
On Wednesday, heavily armed troops surrounded key government buildings in Bissau before senior officers appeared on state television to announce they had assumed power.
The military said it had dissolved state institutions, suspended the electoral process and imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew. Borders were ordered shut until further notice.
Gunfire rattled parts of the capital earlier in the day as soldiers sealed off the presidential palace and the electoral commission headquarters. Embaló was detained shortly after, according to diplomatic sources, though the army did not publicly confirm his whereabouts.
The officers accused the government of attempting to manipulate results from Sunday’s general election, where both Embaló and his main challenger had prematurely claimed victory.
The military said its intervention was necessary to “preserve stability” and prevent what it called an orchestrated attempt to subvert the vote. No evidence was provided.
Guinea-Bissau has endured repeated bouts of political turmoil, but the latest power grab adds to a wider wave of coups across West and Central Africa that has unsettled regional bodies.
Over the past three years, elected leaders in Niger, Burkina Faso and Gabon have all been swept aside by their militaries, often amid disputes over insecurity or contested elections.
Ruto, who leads the AU’s Institutional Reform Committee, had told heads of state that the continent must rebuild confidence in democratic transitions or face “a prolonged cycle of instability.”
The events in Bissau have brought that warning into sharp focus.
The coup leaves Guinea-Bissau’s 2.2 million people facing renewed uncertainty. With institutions suspended and movement restricted, diplomats said immediate concerns include possible shortages of goods, disruptions to public services and the risk of further unrest.
Regional governments are expected to meet in the coming days to decide how to respond. Whether pressure from the AU or the West African bloc ECOWAS can force a quick return to civilian rule remains unclear.
ligadwah@businessdayafrica.org