Comesa News

COMESA Watchdog Flags Safety Risks After Ford, Toyota Vehicle Recalls

By Business Day AfricaApril 29th, 2026
COMESA Watchdog Flags Safety Risks After Ford, Toyota Vehicle Recalls

Car users across the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) have been alerted by the COMESA Competition and Consumer Commission over safety risks linked to thousands of recalled vehicles supplied by Ford Motor Company and Toyota units in Southern Africa.

The regulator said it had been notified of the voluntary recalls through South Africa’s National Consumer Commission, prompting a regional warning as the affected models are widely traded across COMESA member states.

Vehicles flagged include 2025 Ford Ranger XLT and Wildtrak pickups, 2023–2024 Ford Puma passenger cars, and Hino 700 series trucks distributed by Toyota’s South African unit.

Ford is recalling 438 Ranger XLT and Wildtrak units sold between February 18 and March 18, 2025, due to a defect in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve that could trigger engine power loss, particularly at low speeds.

The Commission said drivers may notice warning lights, reduced acceleration, vibration or failure to start, adding that a sudden loss of power could raise the risk of a crash.

In a separate action, the automaker is also recalling 26 Ford Puma vehicles from model years 2023 and 2024, originally sold between April 2022 and September 2023.

These units had previously undergone a recall, but the software remedy for the restraint control module may not have been properly installed, potentially weakening occupant protection systems in the event of a collision.

 

Toyota, through its South African operations, has meanwhile recalled 58 Hino 700 series trucks sold between February and November 2025.

The issue stems from a manufacturing defect in the fuel pump housing, which could develop cracks under repeated high load, leading to fuel leaks.

The Commission urged owners to take affected vehicles to authorised dealerships for inspection and repairs at no cost.

Steven Kamukama, director of consumer welfare and advocacy at the Commission, said the alert should be treated with urgency, warning that the defective vehicles could pose safety risks if left unaddressed.

He advised motorists and prospective buyers to verify whether their vehicles are among those listed in the recall notices and seek corrective action where necessary.

The watchdog said it is working with the automakers and member states to ensure consumers across the bloc are informed, noting that the affected models are commonly imported into countries including Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Egypt and Malawi.

gandae@businessdayafrica.org