Trump Threatens Aid Cut to Egypt Over Palestinian Resettlement Plan

US President Donald Trump is pressuring Egypt to accept the resettlement of millions of displaced Palestinians from Gaza, threatening to cut aid if Cairo refuses to comply with Washington’s forced relocation plan.
In a wide-ranging interview with Fox News on Monday, Trump suggested that both Egypt and Jordan could face reductions in US military and economic assistance unless they agree to permanently absorb most Palestinians from Gaza.
The two nations, which have so far opposed the proposal, now face a difficult diplomatic dilemma.
Jordan and Egypt, among the largest recipients of US aid, have repeatedly rejected the idea of accepting Palestinian refugees, citing security concerns and fears of permanent displacement.
But Trump made it clear that their refusal could come at a cost.
“If they don’t agree, I would conceivably withhold aid,” he told reporters, a day before a scheduled meeting with Jordan’s King Abdullah II.
Mr Trump also dismissed the notion that Palestinians would ever return to Gaza after Washington’s proposed redevelopment plan.
When asked whether displaced Palestinians would be granted the right to return once construction projects were completed, he replied, “No, they wouldn’t.”
As for potential resettlement locations, he said that he could make a deal with Jordan and Egypt.
Both Egypt and Jordan have pushed back against the plan, warning that absorbing millions of Palestinians could destabilise their nations and permanently sever the displaced population’s ties to their homeland.
The proposal raises complex legal and logistical questions, including the extent of US authority over Gaza and how such a territorial takeover would be funded.
Mr Trump’s presidency is expected to reshape global geopolitics as nations grapple with ongoing conflicts and climate challenges.
His remarks on Gaza came after a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last week in Washington DC. Israel remains a close ally of the US.
While Trump has framed his plan as a long-term solution, critics warn it could escalate tensions and further complicate efforts to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
ligadwah@businessdayafrica.org