Economy

NG-CDF Denies Funding Mandera South School Project as MP Faces Court Battle

By Business Day AfricaSeptember 25th, 2025
NG-CDF Denies Funding Mandera South School Project as MP Faces Court Battle

The National Government Constituency Development Fund Board (NG-CDF) has distanced itself from financing the construction of a new secondary school in Mandera South.

Through acting manager for field operations, Christine Nadzua Mwangolo, the Board told the High Court that it did not receive any proposal for the construction of Gode Secondary School.

Residents of Kotulo sub-county have sued their MP, Haro Abdul Ebrahim, accusing him of secretly constructing the school just a few metres from Borehole Eleven Mixed Secondary School, which is in a deplorable state.

The insides of a dormitory at Borehole Mixed Secondary School. PHOTO/Courtesy

As a result, the High Court stopped the MP — a member of the National Assembly Education Committee — from proceeding with the project pending the hearing and determination of the case. Justice John Onyiego further directed the OCS Kotulo Police Station to ensure the legislator complies with conservatory orders issued on August 28, 2025, halting the construction.

In its submission, NG-CDF insisted it was not financing the project, raising questions about the source of funds amid claims by residents that the MP is misappropriating public resources.

“The NG-CDF has not approved funding for any project at the school and consequently no public funds have been disbursed for its implementation,” Ms. Mwangolo stated.

The Board further disclosed it did not receive project identification, proposals, or approval documents from the MP.

Ms. Mwangolo stressed that any project undertaken outside the legal framework of the NG-CDF Act cannot be deemed a Board project or funded as such. She added that in the 2024/25 financial year, or any previous year, the Board had not approved or funded any project at Gode Secondary School.

Construction works at Gode Secondary schools in Mandera South. PHOTO/Courtesy

The Board maintained that it has robust financial controls to safeguard public coffers and uphold constitutional requirements on the use of public funds.

Meanwhile, through lawyer Pauline Kiteng’e, the petitioners told Justice Onyiego that Borehole Eleven Mixed Secondary School had applied for renovations to its three streams, including repairs, new dormitories, and toilets, as the existing facilities are dilapidated.

The Board has asked the court not to indict it for wrongs it has not committed, terming the case against it an abuse of the court process that discloses no reasonable cause of action.

In his defence, Mr. Ebrahim argued that Gode residents had initially raised funds through harambee to construct classrooms, after years of neglect by former leaders.

Construction works at Gode Secondary School. PHOTO/Courtesy

“Prior to the allocation of funds to construct classrooms at Gode Senior Secondary School, the local community raised money through harambee to finance the project, having suffered neglect from previous leadership,” he averred.

Through his lawyers, Fatah & Company Advocates, the first-time MP clarified that Gode Senior Secondary School is located eight kilometres from Borehole Eleven Mixed Secondary School.

He explained that the project was informed by a needs assessment, targeting Gode and neighbouring settlements — including Gesrebki, Woda, and Falama — which are up to 15 kilometres away from Borehole.

Mr. Ebrahim denied allegations of constructing the school without public participation, adding that the petitioners had not demonstrated how their rights or those of any identifiable group had been violated. He maintained that the project complements, rather than undermines, government efforts to realise the constitutional right to education under Articles 43 and 53.

The petitioners, however, accuse the MP of neglecting Borehole Eleven Mixed Secondary School, whose infrastructure has fallen into disrepair.

Justice Onyiego has extended the orders barring Mr. Ebrahim from proceeding with construction until the case is heard on September 23, 2025.

news@businessdayafrica.org