Museveni Wins Election with Over 70% of Vote Amid Intimidation Claims

Uganda’s veteran leader Yoweri Museveni won a new presidential term with more than 70 percent of the vote, election authorities said on Friday, extending his rule to nearly four decades after a contest marred by allegations of police intimidation and harassment of the opposition.
Museveni, who has led the East African country since 1986, defeated his main challenger, pop star-turned-politician Bobi Wine, in a vote opposition groups said was neither free nor fair.
Wine’s campaign accused security forces of breaking up rallies, arresting supporters and restricting movement in opposition strongholds.
In his first public remarks after the result, Museveni said the new mandate would be his last, signalling for the first time an intention to step aside after completing the term. He did not outline a succession plan.
The election was held amid the detention of veteran opposition figure Kizza Besigye, a long-time Museveni rival who remains in prison following his arrest earlier this year.
Opposition leaders and rights groups say Besigye’s incarceration and the deployment of state machinery heavily favoured the incumbent.
Museveni’s critics say the government used the police, military and electoral institutions to secure victory, allegations the authorities deny.
The president has previously said strict security measures were necessary to maintain stability.
Regional leaders moved quickly to congratulate Museveni. African Union chairperson Azali Assoumani hailed the outcome, while Kenya’s President William Ruto sent his congratulations, saying he looked forward to strengthening ties with Kampala.
Museveni’s victory cements his status as one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, even as questions persist over political freedoms, succession and the role of security forces in Uganda’s elections.
news@businessafrica.org